Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The Name Game

So the new baby is coming anytime now. Angie is doing well and so far so good with the health of the baby. The biggest thing that's still up in the air is the name. With JT, this was much more straightforward - I figured that anyone can name their son "junior" or "the second," but when you have the chance to name him "the third" and so on, you just can't pass that up. Really, the only lingering debate was whether to call him "JT" or "Trey." I think we made the right decision, and I'm sure James Taylor would agree. So back to the point, we're still (or I should say I'm still) undecided on a name. Angie on the other hand is pretty darn sure she wants it to be "Andrew Thomas Briggs" and to probably call him "Drew." I'm 80% sold on that name, I really like it and it has has ties to her dad - Clair Thomas Nelson. (Above is Clair's mission picture circa 1959) However, there are a few dates on which if he is born that I reserve the right to change the name. They are:

  • 4th of July - no we wouldn't name him "Yankee Doodle" Briggs like both my Uncle Steve and friend B suggested, but I would like to do a little research and maybe name him after an ancestor on either side that had fought in the Revolutionary War. Also, both Angie and I like the name "George."
  • July 8th - This was Clair Thomas Nelson's birthday. Angie has rightly claimed this date and there will be no question the name would be "Andrew Thomas Briggs."
  • July 13th - This was my Grandpa Sandy's (Wayne LeRoy Sandberg) birthday. (Above is a picture of him with my mom circa 1973) I was very close to him and would love to honor him if our boy shares his birthday. There's a couple problems though, "Sandy" is already taken, and let's face it - "LeRoy" isn't a hot name for the new generation. That leaves us with "Wayne" which I like, but may be better suited as a middle name. As a side note, my grandpa had a $1,000 reward for the parents of any grandchild naturally born on his birthday. This reward was never able to be claimed, but I subsequently have 2 cousins and a brother that were all born on July 17th. I'm sure if he were still around, he'd still honor that prize.
  • Speaking of July 17th, this is Gideon's birthday. I wouldn't want to jump the gun and give the baby his name or anything, but maybe his middle name "Sandberg" just as a nod to one of the finest uncles the world has seen. (Above is a fine uncle in action)
  • July 24th Pioneer Day - This is actually the baby's official due date. If he makes it this long, we'd have to include a pioneer ancestor, of which we have many.
  • July 27th - This is my birthday. George Foreman named all 3 of his boys "George Foreman." I would have virtually no choice but to follow in his footsteps and name him "Jeffrey Scott Briggs the Fourth."
So there you have my logic on this whole naming thing. I'd appreciate feedback - unless you think my logic is flawed, then I'd really rather not hear from you. To make this entry far more interesting than just my rant, here are a few of our latest pics: (We've had many requests for pictures of "pregnant Angie," so here she is in all her glory - isn't she cute!) (This is what JT looks like once you've pushed him away from the camera after he puts his face 2 inches from it and wants you to take a picture)

2 comments:

Rob said...

Robert Candrian Briggs...that way you get to name him after a future American hero. He will be totally cool and all the other kids will be jealous.

amy said...

You could always name him names that Dave likes. For instance, Dave wanted to name our son Woodrow Wudel, and his nick name would be Woody Wudel. So in that same tradition you could do Brigham Briggs. And for a nickname you could call him Briggy Brigss. Any way cute picture of Angie. I think of her everyday, and I am excited to see the new little guy!